Fresh pasta takes pasta dishes to a whole different level. And when it's home-made, it not only tastes better it has a number of benefits for your health and for the environment. You know exactly what ingredients go into producing it. There is no processing and energy consumption involved apart from a bit of elbow grease and a short blast in a mixer. And of course there is no packaging required.
It's not as hard as you might think. It is actually quite fun and you can involve the whole family. You can make all sorts of shapes and sizes as well as different flavours.
At this time of year we particularly love the look and flavour of fresh green spinach pasta on our plates. You can even grow your own spinach to add to this. Spinach pasta is particularly healthy as it contains all the beneficial nutrients in the spinach such as calcium, iron, fibre, antioxidants and B vitamins.
Fresh Spinach Pasta
- 300g plain flour
- 70g fresh spinach leaves finely shopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place flour and spinach into a food processor and mix well until combined.
- Mix in eggs, oil and a pinch of salt. Knead for about 3 - 5 minutes. You can do this by hand or by using the dough setting on your mixer.
- Form dough into a ball and wrap in a re-usable food wrap and allow to rest for 15 mins.
- Use a pasta maker to create the pasta of your choice.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 3 - 4 mins.