Bring a bit of Italy into your kitchen this summer with this fresh, satisfying, summery salad. Make plenty to keep in the fridge for quick 'go-to' lunches during the week.
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 heaping cups arugula or baby spinach
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ small red onion, diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon golden balsamic vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and cook the orzo until al dente, according to package instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Drain the orzo in a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Pour the cooked orzo in a large bowl.
Add the arugula (or spinach), cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, feta, and basil to the orzo and gently stir. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and stir again. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.